A Letter from Pastor Mark - May



Dear Friends,
I am using the May newsletter to write my farewell greetings.  I will officially continue in my duties at Southport UMC until June 30.  However, I would like to make this space available to Pastor Derek Weber for the June newsletter so that he will have the opportunity to introduce himself to the congregation before he arrives on July 1.
First of all, let me say that it has been a true privilege to serve as the pastor of SUMC for the past fifteen years and six months.  Not many pastors get the opportunity to serve a congregation for that period of time.  For the time we have had together I am deeply grateful.
There have been ups and downs in the life of SUMC over those many years but I am confident that the overall trajectory of the church and the members of the congregation has been to move closer and closer to Jesus.  That should always be the goal of discipleship.  As we grow closer to Jesus we reflect more and more of his nature.  I continually see Jesus being reflected through the way you live life.
I believe that we should celebrate the fact that we have also become a congregation that thinks more about others than it does itself.  We realize that the one task that Jesus has given the church is to take his good news to others and to make disciples.  I believe that many people are making it a priority to reach out in love to others outside of our congregation.  
These two things, moving closer to Jesus and sharing Jesus with others are the two most important things at SUMC.  That is the way it should be.  If those two things being the focus of the church are all that we have accomplished over the past 15.5 years I am satisfied.  I am    satisfied because that is what the church should be about.

I also want to take this opportunity to share a little about my retirement plans.  As most of you know Susan and I will be relocating to Florida.  We have a home in the Kissimmee, FL area.  Our home is located in one of the villages of Poinciana.  We are far enough from the congested tourist areas to not have to deal with the traffic on a daily basis but close enough to easily take advantage of all the fun opportunities in the area.
I am planning to get a part-time job.  I don’t see myself sitting around in retirement.  I have been asked if I will serve a small church.  The answer to that question is an emphatic “no.”  The reason why is that I want a job outside of a church setting so that I will have more contact with unchurched people.  I want to use my job as a means of developing relationships with people whom I can potentially help disciple  into a relationship with Jesus.  I have nothing against serving a church but I want to use my retirement as an opportunity to reach people in a different manner.
I am looking forward to continue ministry in a different format and I am looking forward to having some additional free-time to spend with Susan and other family.
You are more than welcome to come and visit us in Florida.  Our address is:
Mark & Susan Fisher
534 Anise Court
Kissimmee, FL 34759
We would be delighted to have you drop by.

In Christ’s Abundant Love,
Pastor Mark




Popular posts from this blog

A Letter from Pastor Chris

ATTENTION HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS

SOUTHPORT UNITED METHODIST YOUTH GROUP