Every Woman Needs an Elizabeth



"What is it about women and relationships? From the day we’re old enough to write our own name it’s our girlfriends who take center stage. It’s their approval we ache for and their company we desire most. Little girls giggle and hold hands while elderly women sit side by side and chatter away like happy parakeets.

Once I placed my trust in Jesus, I silently desired to grow in my faith. I needed someone to help me with answers I didn’t have. I needed someone who knew Jesus. I didn’t know anything about “discipleship,” what it was, or why I needed it. I discovered quickly this kind of connection is one all Christian women crave but few knew how to cultivate.

There’s a slice of Scripture that intrigues me about the discipleship relationship women can share. God tucks it away in the Gospel of Luke. Mary has just learned she is pregnant with God’s Son. After showing teenage hospitality to angelic company, she has only one thing on her mind when Gabriel leaves.
She must speak with Elizabeth.

The Bible tells us Mary bolted out her front door and headed straight for Elizabeth’s house. She needed someone to confide in. She desired wise counsel from an older woman of faith. She needed acceptance and love. Most of all, she needed encouragement to become the leader God wanted her to be. Only after spending three months with Elizabeth could Mary begin the journey the Lord created her to accomplish.

We shared more than girls nights out and marathon telephone calls. With God as our foundation, she became my own personal prayer warrior and the encourager of my dreams. When God is in the mix, you just can’t put a price tag on that kind of relationship. Unfortunately, she didn’t know discipleship is what she was doing and I didn’t know discipleship is what I needed. What took us years to learn together I could’ve learned a whole lot sooner.
Making the Connection



Where were the women willing to surrender a little bit of their time to intentionally disciple me? Who would sacrifice a little time with me for a few months? The Holy Spirit made sure the story of Mary and Elizabeth made the final edits into the Gospel of Luke. A tiny spotlight on these two young women reveals the soul-need for discipleship. This is why I started Grace & Truth Living, to create resources for women like me.

The truth is, no matter who you live with, work with or love, you will learn something from one another. If only we took a few minutes on purpose to pray for, share with and help another friend in Christ to grow stronger. God made no mistake when he penned the Gospel of Luke. He made it quite clear—every Mary needs an Elizabeth."
Written by Joanne Kraft

United Methodist Women's Activities:
             UMW Board Meeting is held September 6 at 6:30 at church.
             Rebekah Circle meets in September on Tuesday, September 12, at 1:00 p.m.  at church
             Anna Circle meets in August on Monday, August 21 at 1:00 p.m. at Rosegate
             Leah Circle meets in August on  Tuesday, August 15 at 6:00 p.m. at church.  

We will do an annual "Sit and Sew" meeting but this time we will be making baby blankets for Ronald McDonald House, and you only need a skill level of being able to cut and tie.  So all women are welcome to come and pitch-in to help and have a real old "gab fest." 

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter from Pastor Chris

ATTENTION HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS

SOUTHPORT UNITED METHODIST YOUTH GROUP