Letter from Pastor Mark - February



Dear Friends,

Recently, I made the announcement that we will not be opening the church office during Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings when we gather for worship.  I want to take the opportunity to share the rationale behind this decision for those who might not have heard the announcement and to explain it in more detail for everyone.

First of all, the outer reception area of the office will still be unlocked on Sunday mornings so that the copy machine can be accessible for children’s church and iConnect workers and leaders.  For all other purposes the office will be closed when we gather for worship.  Those who call the church office on Sunday morning will receive a message that will include the worship times, and there will be instructions on how to leave a message.  We have checked with other churches in the area, and almost all of them have the practice of not opening their offices and not doing official church business during the times set aside for worship.

When the office is open and we take care of church business during worship time, it does cause distractions from the purpose of why we gather.  When we gather to worship, it should be about putting our focus on God and having the opportunity to connect with one another.  As the    pastor I notice that when people want to do business with me when we gather to worship (and this happens to other staff members as well), it takes me away from being able to connect with the congregation in general because I am focusing on one or two individuals.  It also distracts from the purpose at hand which is to give our undivided attention to the worship of God.

So, when will be able to take care of business?  On Thursdays or Sundays we can answer simple questions, but for something more we can schedule appointments when as a pastor or staff member we can give you the attention you need and deserve at a time that is convenient for you.  Unfortunately, when I am trying to do business when we gather for worship, I am not as fully present in what someone wants me to focus on because my thought process is mainly on the task of conducting worship.  Often times when I am asked to conduct business during the time that we have gathered for worship, I have a hard time remembering what was discussed or what I was asked to do because I have so much on my mind with focusing on   preparing to deliver a sermon and conduct worship.  If we do church business at times other than when we gather for worship, it will enable myself and other staff members to assist you in a way that will help us be more fully focused on your needs and concerns.
This new way of approaching our times of worship may take some adjustment, but I believe it will help all of us get more out of the worship experience, and it will help the pastors and staff be able to focus on the entire congregation as we connect with one another.
In Christ’s Abundant Love,
Pastor Mark

 



Popular posts from this blog

A Letter from Pastor Chris

ATTENTION HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS

SOUTHPORT UNITED METHODIST YOUTH GROUP