June Financial Update


But if we are the body.  Why aren't His arms reaching?  Why aren't His hands healing?  Why aren't His words teaching?
Do you know that song by Casting Crowns?  If you do, I hope it is stuck in your head now because it is mine.  This song serves as a reminder that we are called to take care of each other, to make disciples, and that we must stay focused on being His hands and his feet in this world.
The reason I bring this up is, recently several times it has been brought to my attention how we are the body, and by we, I mean Southport UMC.
I recently went to an event that was a Christian based event.  The event was not just United Methodist, but open to all denomination, also there were people there from all over the state.  I was amazed that several people from our church were serving at the event in some capacity (I think I counted about 18).  This was particularly amazing to me because the event wasn’t in our back yard, it was 54 miles away.  I had the opportunity to talk to many people at the event and I heard, “oh you’re from Southport UMC I know A and B I worked with them through Kairos Prison Ministry… You’re from Southport UMC, do you know C and D they helped our church get set up with Interfaith Hospitality Network… I know E, he has been a mentor of mine for many years.”
A few weeks later I was doing the sound for an event here and there was a guest speaker from Servants Heart Ministries.  In their speech they talked about F and G from Southport UMC and how much they have impacted the ministries at servants Heart, and that many others from Southport UMC have too.
I left out the names of the individuals because, first, I know they don’t mind, the point of this article is not recognition even though they deserve it, and recognition is not why they do the things they do.  I also leave out the names because I know there are several other names from our congregation that could go in there place.
We are the body.  This is how His arms are reaching.  This is how His hands are healing.  This is how His words are teaching.  So, keep it up, and thank you for being the church.  Thank you for the blessing of being able to worship in this community.  Thank you for going into this world and being the body of Christ.
In His service,
Brandon




Popular posts from this blog

A Letter from Pastor Chris

ATTENTION HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS

SOUTHPORT UNITED METHODIST YOUTH GROUP